Nothing says its a party better than sprinkles!
Last week was my little guys 6th birthday and these sugar cookies were the perfect sweet treat to bring to his classmates. At pick up the plate was cleared and I heard a lot of “those were good” and I have to agree, they were delicious.
I recommend you make these as soon as possible, they will brighten your day, guaranteed. I bet you can’t have just one!
Makes 30 + cookies at 6 per cookie sheet
- 4 cups (600g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups (340g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup (120ml) canola oil
- 1 cup (225g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (200g) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- rainbow sprinkles, for decorating
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and cream on medium speed for about a minute.
- With the mixer on low, slowly pour in the oil, and then add both sugars, the eggs, and the vanilla.
- Scrape down the sides after each of the addition.
- Slowly add the flour mixture, about a quarter at a time mixing until the flour just disappears.
- The dough will be loose and needs to go into the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to three days.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment or a Silpat.
- Scoop the dough into balls using a 2 oz (or up to a 5 oz scoop).
- Roll each ball in rainbow sprinkles until thoroughly coated.
- Place them on baking sheets with enough room for them to spread, if you are making giant cookies you will probably only get 4 per sheet, but with the scoop I used I was able to fit 6. Use your fingers to flatten each ball slightly.
- Bake for 12-20 minutes, depending on the size and until the edges start to turn golden.
- Cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.